After, a successfully demonstration in 2019, to our elected leadership of a Basic Assessment of Interoperability Telecommunications (BAIT) exercise in Lee County with the collaboration of Williamson County ARES and the Williamson County Office of Emergency Management and Williamson County Emergency Communications, lead to an MOU with Lee County and the Lee County officials tasking us to equip the Lee County Emergency Operation Center (EOC) with Ham Radio Communications. Lee County ARES has accepted this task and aims to equip the Lee County EOC with backup radio communications voice and digital, totally independent from their primary communication system.
Set up a working Amateur Radio Communications station at the Lee County EOC
- Erected four amateur radio antennas
- Have three working radio stations
- Provided voice and digital comminutions
- Secure funding to purchase needed equipment to fulfill our goals
- Install a mast and antenna
- Add a tower as funds permit
- Purchase items needed for mast installation, coax and grounding
- Purchase antenna’s
- 3 VHF/UHF antenna
- 1 HF antenna
- Purchase radios and items needed to utilize them
- 1 radio for packet (email via amateur radio; no internet necessary)
- 1 radio for local voice
- 1 radio for distance voice and digital modes as needed
- Meeting with the Lee County Sheriff’s office to determine where the first antenna should be installed was held. (July 2021)
- Donation of Antenna stand and a mast has be accepted and items have been received. (July 2021)
- Funding is being sought in the form of individual donations; City and County budget requests and submission to grants. (On-going until total needed is received)
- Coaxial line and other equipment to attach to the antenna mast are being purchased with funds received to date. (July 2021)
Call to ACTION:
If you wish to assist in this project your financial support would be appreciated. Simply click on the donation button on the right hand side of the screen or by mailing your donation to:
Lee CARES at PO Box 1414, Giddings, TX 78942.
November 2021 Lee County ARES began testing the required height of the antenna for the EOC.
February 2022 antenna coax was run inside the building and a temporary antenna installed on the roof of the EOC.