Membership is open to any FCC licensed ham operator.
As outlined on the Amateur Radio Relay League, ARRL website, the Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES) consists of licensed amateurs who have voluntarily registered their qualifications and equipment, with their local ARES leadership, for communications duty in the public service when disaster strikes.
To become a LeeCARES member you need to:
- Read and affirm that you agree with the membership section of the LeeCARES By-laws, listed below.
- Read and affirm that you agree with the Criminal History Disqualifier.
- Read and affirm the LeeCARES Admission Policy document.
- Register at the ARRL STX Depot Gateway.
- Download signature pages and submit signed copies of steps 1, 2, and 3 to LeeCARES Emergency Coordinator.
ARES Membership Requirements:
Every licensed amateur regardless of membership in ARRL or any other local or national organization is eligible to apply for membership in ARES. The possession of emergency-powered equipment is desirable but is not a requirement for membership.
By recent new requirements from ARES, LeeCARES members need to obtain FEMA 100, 200, 700, and 800 certificates and the ARRL EC-001 for Active membership. By LeeCARES Bylaws, background check, or copy of a handgun license, or any other badge or license that require a background check, is also required.
The other requirement is a desire to serve our neighbors and local government in Lee County.
For general information about ARES