Lee County ARES has been pledged the donation of a van with a 60’ mast by a local internet provider to use as an Emergency Communication vehicle. Our plans are to use the van during an emergency to assist communities and First Responders with communications when regular communications fail or become inadequate in natural or man-made disasters. When not in use to support the Lee Co. Emergency Operation Center for emergencies or exercises, we will participate in parades and planned public and private events, for supporting event organizers with communications and for outreach to the public, including bringing it to schools for educational purposes.
Create an emergency communication vehicle using the donated van.
- Have an emergency communication vehicle with one working radio station capable of voice and digital communications.
- Take possession of the van for use as the emergency communication vehicle
- Get insurance on the van
- Have the van painted
- Repair or purchase needed equipment to raise and lower the mast
- Purchase antenna and items needed for placing antenna on the mast
- Purchase needed coax and other cables
- Purchase radio and digital communication equipment
- Purchase mobile antenna to use when the mast is not needed
- Receive funding to accomplish this project
- Install all purchased equipment
- Test and use the emergency communication van
- Pricing insurance for the van (July 2021)
- Determined radio equipment desired for the van (July 2021)
- Requested funding from Individuals, and applied for grants to fund the project
Call to ACTION:
If you wish to assist in this project your financial support would be appreciated. Simply click on the donation button on the right hand side of the screen or by mailing your donation to:
Lee CARES at PO Box 1414, Giddings, TX 78942.
Photos of the Emergency Communication Vehicle Project:
Van as of January 2023